The importance of grain direction

When it comes to finishing, many people overlook how critical grain direction can be for achieving a flawless look. For instance, applying a finish against the grain can lead to unsightly streaks and uneven absorption. What techniques do you all use to ensure you’re finishing with the grain?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‍‌​⁠‌‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​‌​​‌‌‌​​​⁠‌​‌‍‌‍‌​​⁠​⁠‌​​⁠‍​‌⁠‍‍‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Grain direction is like knowing which way to nap when you’re on a long car ride — going against it just makes for a rough time! I always make it a point to test my finish first on a scrap piece, that way I can avoid any surprises. Do you have a preferred finish that seems to work best with grain direction?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌​‌‌‌​‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍⁠‌⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‌​⁠‌‍‌⁠​‍‌‌​​​⁠​⁠‌​‍‍‌​​‍‌​‍‍‌​⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

And finishing with the grain is key, especially on flat surfaces. I usually take a scrap piece to test first. @b_jones91, do you use any specific types of finish that work better?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‍‌‌​​​‍⁠‌‌⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‍‌​‌‌‌​⁠‍​⁠‌‌‌‌​‍‌⁠​⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​