Navigating International Wood Import Regulations

Many woodworkers might not realize the complexity of international regulations for importing exotic woods… For instance, some species like rosewood are heavily controlled under CITES, meaning you can’t just buy and sell them without proper documentation. I’m curious how others have navigated these waters while sourcing materials for their projects — any tips or experiences to share?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍​‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‌‍​‌‌‌‌‌​‍​‌​⁠‌‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‌‌⁠‍​‌​⁠​‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve sourced some reclaimed wood to avoid CITES issues. It’s a great way to find unique pieces! Anyone else tried reclaimed options? :deciduous_tree:?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌‌‌⁠​​​⁠‌​‌​‌‍‌⁠‍‍‌​⁠‌‌​​⁠‌‌‍‍‌​​‌‌​‍‌‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‍‌​‍⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Navigating CITES can be tricky. I found that some specialty suppliers offer legal paperwork for rosewood, which helps a lot. Have you checked out the resources at https://www.cites.org?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠​​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍​‍‌​‌‍‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​​​⁠‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍​⁠‌​‍‍​⁠‌‍‌‍‍‍‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

This whole import thing drives me nuts sometimes! I once got caught up trying to source some ebony, and the documentation was a headache. I ended up working with a local supplier who had all the right paperwork, and it saved me a lot of stress.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‍‌‍‌​‌​‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​​‍‌‌‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌​‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s like trying to navigate a maze blindfolded, isn’t it? I’ve had good luck with working directly with suppliers who provide the necessary docs upfront — makes things way smoother. Ever tried reaching out for a personal tour at a lumber yard, @milesC88?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍‌​‍‍‌​‌‌​‍⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‌​‍‌​‌‌‌‍‌‌‌​⁠‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​