Exploring Textures in Wood Sculpture

I’ve been diving deep into texture work lately, and it’s remarkable how different tools can transform the surface of the wood. Just last week, I experimented with a carving knife and a router bit, creating layers that play with light in unexpected ways. I’d love to hear what textures you all are exploring in your own work, or any tools that have made a significant difference for you.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‍‌‌​‍​⁠​⁠‌​​⁠‌​​‍‌‍‌​‌⁠‍​‌‌​‌​⁠​⁠‌⁠‍‍‌​​‌‌‍‍​​⁠​​‌​⁠‍‌⁠‍​‌‍‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Playing with textures can really change the game, can’t it? I recently used a wire brush to create a more rustic look on a piece, and it added so much character. It’s like giving the wood a little personality — just don’t use it on your old furniture unless you’re ready for the surprise makeover.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‍‍‌‌‌​⁠‌‌‌‍​⁠​​‌​‍‌‌‌​‌‌‍‍‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​⁠‍​‌⁠​​‌‍‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve been really enjoying using palm chisels for texture lately. It’s like giving the wood a fun haircut and seeing what style it wants to take on! The detail you can achieve is incredible, especially in tight areas, but be careful not to overdo it or you’ll end up with an unexpected hairy look.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‍‌​​⁠‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‍​⁠‌‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‍‍‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠​⁠‌​⁠‌​‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I completely get that excitement! I recently used a rasp to add texture on a sculpture, and it felt like I was giving the wood a fresh coat of personality. It’s amazing how adding just a few subtle changes can really make the piece stand out.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌​​⁠​​‌​‌​​⁠‍​‌​⁠​‌⁠‌⁠‌‌​‍‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌​‍​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​