Choosing reclaimed wood for projects

I’ve been diving into woodworking and am really considering using reclaimed wood for my next project. Not only is it eco-friendly, but it also has so much character. Has anyone else worked with reclaimed timber? Any tips on sourcing or working with it sustainably?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌‌‌‍‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌​‌​‌⁠‌​‌​‌​⁠‌‌⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Reclaimed wood really does have so much character — for sourcing, check out local reclamation yards; they often have unique finds. Have you thought about the specific project you’re planning?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‍‌‌​​‌‍⁠‌‌​‍⁠‌⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌‌​‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‍‌​‍‌‌‍​‍‌‌​‍‌​‌​​⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

If you’re sourcing reclaimed wood, don’t overlook local construction sites; they might let you take some off their hands. Just check with them first about any safety concerns. What kind of project are you thinking of using it for?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌​‌​⁠‌‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‌​‍‌⁠‍‍‌​‌‍​⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‌‌‍‌​‍‍‌‍⁠‌‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Choosing reclaimed wood is so exciting, but , the quality can sometimes be hit or miss. I found a great local sawmill that offers a selection of reused timber; it was such a difference compared to some of the random pieces I grabbed from construction sites. Also, be sure to inspect for pests! Have you settled on what you want to make yet?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌​‌⁠‌‍​‌‌​‍​‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌​​‍‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​⁠​‍‌​⁠‍​⁠‍‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌‌‌‌​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​